Saturday, March 3, 2012

Day 4 Post Op

I really wanted to start this blog before surgery. However, I couldn't make myself do it. To say I didn't have time, or the whole  'I really don't know why I didn't' would be a flat out lie. I was scared. I was in shock. I couldn't believe this was really going to happen. I continued all of this all the way up them moving me onto the surgery table with me in tears. I felt selfish. All I kept thinking in my head was what IF this. What IF that. How would Chris and the girls ever forgive me if something were to happen and I didn't come home. How would I forgive myself. So all of this was running right under my outward appearance of a smile and hopeful attitude.

A little background about my preop process. My insurance has a requirement that anyone looking into weight loss surgery (wls) must complete 6 months in a monitored weight loss program. My first appointment with my surgery team was on Aug 29, 2011. At that time my fuzzy math had my surgery time around late Mar-April time frame. When my nurse first mentioned late Feb I was floored. There of course was the disclaimer of  'it all depends on how fast the insurance approves'. My did drag it's feet a little. It reminded me a lot of our last months in our adoption process. That is a whole different post!

During my 6 months, my weight was a roller coaster. Down 6 lbs, back up 4. I was not a model preoper. I struggled with the loss of food. Daily. I wondered often how the the hell I was going to be able to be compliant after surgery if I couldn't do it now. During all of this time I had a battery of tests, some I completed right away, others I didn't. It was all a mental fight. This went on month after month until Jan. I met with my nutritionist and exercise physiologist. I had a 5 lb gain. They both came at me the perfect way and questioned, without directly asking, how committed I was. Bricks fell on my head. No one had ever questioned my commitment to anything before. No one had ever made me question myself.

I drove home that day a little bruised, but in the exact way I needed to be. It lit a fire. I came home rode over 15 miles on my elliptical bike and wrote an email that changed everything. My coming out if you will. I was shocked by the response. I was sent love and encouragement, and that only made my fire grow. For my last appointment I weighed and found that I had lost 13 lbs. Made my preop goal. and was on my way.

That leads to today. I am 4 days out, and feel really pretty good. I have been moved to level two foods. Meaning I can have full liquids. So every few typed words I am sipping on my protein shake. I only have two pain levels mild and narcotic. I have only taken the narcotic once and that was more then I ever want to have again. I only took the Tylenol two times yesterday. My energy is returning slowly. I am still pretty swollen. I did see my Team on Friday, who were impressed with how much fluid I got into my system my first day out. They removed my drain which was my biggest source of pain. I don't have to come back for 3 weeks.

I really do want to keep this blog to document this year as I transform. It is funny though, I have been overweight my entire life. I have never know healthy Megan. I can't wait to meet her.

2 comments:

  1. You should be so proud of yourself, and remember that you are doing this for you, but also for those amazing girls, so they have their mom for many, many years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am eager to follow you on this journey to a healthier you! So excited!

    ReplyDelete